Work / Life Balance 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterso2

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2006
US
Hello,
I am a 25 yr old Engineer with a Bachelors employed for 4 years so far. The company I work for is decent, but I don't find the work all that interesting and I'm basically stuck doing the same thing for the next 10 years +. I am still living in my parents basement - although I do pay them rent it is not much.

My life outside of work is in bad shape right now. I've got two real friends I hang out with. One has a degree and one doesnt. I do not know any females - the ones I used to know have all disappeared along with other friends to different states. Right now the weeks keep churning and all I do is go to work and the gym and sleep. How can this be changed? Is life really this dull outside of work until retirement?
Now its not all doom and gloom I'm sure I've got it better than a LOT of people in life but its still frustrating and depressing most of the time. Any reccomendations?

Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I started going to lunch with people in the office when I was your age. And then tried to get a group together to have drinks after work. As nerdy as engineering is, most of the engineers I know are pretty interesting to talk to and get along well with the normal people out there. Most engineers are very well traveled. Don't be so down. Your 20's are when you have a ton of freedom and the money to enjoy the freedom. I would rather live at home taking awesome trips with one or two of your friends than buy a place and just be in pure debt for 30 years. There is plenty of time for that later.

Civil Development Group, LLC
Los Angeles Civil Engineering specializing in Hillside Grading

Hey there,

I'm still around - its not that all my problems were solved magically. I'm just having a tough time dealing with the fact I only have like two close friends and no females to hangout with, yes its tough. I think biggest step like many said would be to move out - but I've always been nervous about living alone. Which is why I haven't done anything yet. My employer is ok right now - I was looking at resumes, to maybe look elsewhere but I don't know. Perhaps the lack of a drive to make a change is causing this rut. However, within the last 3 months or so I'd say its gotten progressively worse. From what people say I think I should get an apartment maybe a bit closer to work and perhaps look for a new job in a new city? I don't know if that would force me to find people or not. But I'll agree with the other posters, I'm the one who put myself in this situtation. I've got to find a way out...the replies were helpful though.

Good. There are lots of women out there. Get yourself a nice car, go to the gym (get ripped?) [smile] and they will flock like herds of beetles.
No really now, you just need motivation.

[peace]
Fe

"I've always been nervous about living alone"

I mixed it with strangers for the first 5 years after graduation. And experienced a fair amount of "strangeness" during that time, mostly good. Thought I couldn't cope with the silence of living alone.

Living alone is rewarding though, so long as you get out. There's nothing quite as satisfying as throwing closed your own door, opening a beer and watching rubbish TV.

- Steve

Obviously, there's safety in living in familiar surroundings with familiar people. You seem to be suffering from the converse of "empty nest syndrome," something like "afraid to leave the nest" syndrome.

Well, that's part of growing up, so until you do so, you cannot really claim to even be an adult.

Yes, the world is a scary place, and you may run across roommates that cheat on the rent or steal your liquor, but that's all part of the process. It's not supposed to be easy. it's like "work hardening," and unstressed material cannot become stronger.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back