Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FEMA's Outdated Flood Zone Maps 21

Oops409

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2024
US
Only 3% of residents in Asheville, NC, for example, had flood insurance, according to an article I read. Looking at FEMA's Flood Maps, it is understandable why residents would not have flood insurance.

FEMA flood maps will need to be updated to reflect modern risks, and risks due to more and more urbanization and growth since maps were developed, along with whatever weather cycles we are now experiencing.

Screen_Shot_2024-10-04_at_2.44.28_PM_ufmkwl.png

Marion, NC below

Screen_Shot_2024-10-04_at_3.06.57_PM_mxaqdk.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More along the lines of bushels per acre. This is energy in the column under each cm^2, or m^2.

At some point is clearly shifts to willful ignorance that NOAA is not a political group and has made sensible choices for the sort of data consumer they support.

Wait until you find out Mach number isn't a constant velocity.

= 1/ft ?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Mach is used specifically because the speed of sound varies with conditions such as altitude, air pressure, temperature. Mach is well defined, Mach accounts for these variables. It's the same reason attitude density is used. I'm sure you knew these things.

Are you trying to tell me that the entire energy of column of water is available at its surface? At any cross section?

Yes dik, I was trying to explain the ludocracy of the units.

The NOAA uses a measure of the energy that is available at the surface to drive weather in the atmosphere over it.
---
Mach has no units at all and only depends on the speed of gas flow and oncoming air temperature and the gas composition; the main use is in the Earth's atmosphere which is considered a fairly uniform composition for most purposes, so only temperature is the variable of interest.

Pressure and density cancel out for Mach number calculation.

Mach number does not depend on altitude or pressure.

Pressure altitude and temperature are used to correct indicated airspeed to get true airspeed.

Lost me with Mach numbers. Mining operations would want to know the total amount of gold/ft3 at all points within maximum excavation depth below every ft2 of their lease holding. Oz of Au/ft2 would seem make a good "heat map". Then I'd want to know how much profit I could make if I excavated any given ft2 column of dirt. The summation of Oz Au/ft3 below any ft2 within max excavation depth would be useful to determine if its more profitable to mine and process any one location over any other alternative location. Notice I'm not counting any gold below max excavation depth. Then I might want to minimize excavation depth and plot the amount of recoverable Au/ft2/ft3 of excavation under each point. Is that Au/ft^5? In other words, use any units you need to show the information you need to know in the most convenient format to solve the problem at hand. Joules recoverable at the surface below every 1m2 at all x,y locations isn't that much of a stretch. With GIS, you can map any units you want, except Mach numbers.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

I guess it must be political then that crops are essentially cubic foot per square foot; meaning corn yield is in ft. Yet somehow the corn producers who control access to land on a square foot basis and want to know what volume of corn that square foot can produce are happy with it. More than that, corn is just an energy storage medium, so it's really measuring energy the same as what NOAA is doing, just less directly.

Since NOAA is happy with their units and the units are sensible for that work, I think the problem is solved, particularly since no alternative has been suggested.

Maybe the only point is protesting.

1503-44, you're not quite right. Au/ft² is not a useful number as it does not quantity the amount of dirt that needs to be excavated to find the gold. There is gold everywhere in this world but the concentration is not enough to justify extracting it.

3DDave, now you're seeing why farmers are entertaining vertical farming. The cost of land per ft² is high but the amount of product grown is limited by the space it occupies. Space has 3 dimensions.

The problem is solved because there are no alternatives? This is the bias I was speaking of. Keep in mind that there has not been an accurate climate model to date. This is likely due to NASA (remember, the article with the funky units was from NASA) using bad figures such as kJ/cm2.

Space has 3. Yield is measured in only 2. As is rent of retail an commercial space. It's common to measurements.

All the derivations are from oceanographers. It's not bias; just literacy.

They're controlling the weather. J/m2 must work.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

That's just a distraction - clearly it is controlled by space lasers.

Space Based may be a distraction too, as Ground Based Directed 'Energy' Systems are more likely to have the massive input power source available, if you are speculating about controlling the weather on a large scale like Helene..............

☄️ 🤓

Recently... and substantially.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Remember, this started because you're claiming that a square meter can contain energy.

And I see that Dik still doesn't know about Meltwater Pulse 1A.

This started because you think all weather is just a political hoax.

I showed how the measure is derived. You have not objected to that derivation, which I have taken as acceptance by you of its unassailable accuracy, so it turns to your making stupid comments and deflections.

Was it Rush that did this to you or Alex Jones?

Back