Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FEMA's Outdated Flood Zone Maps 21

Oops409

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2024
US
Only 3% of residents in Asheville, NC, for example, had flood insurance, according to an article I read. Looking at FEMA's Flood Maps, it is understandable why residents would not have flood insurance.

FEMA flood maps will need to be updated to reflect modern risks, and risks due to more and more urbanization and growth since maps were developed, along with whatever weather cycles we are now experiencing.

Screen_Shot_2024-10-04_at_2.44.28_PM_ufmkwl.png

Marion, NC below

Screen_Shot_2024-10-04_at_3.06.57_PM_mxaqdk.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've heard of MWP1a... It will be interesting to see what the effects are when the time period is compressed into a few decades rather than centuries or millennia. It will also be interesting to see what the effects on civilised areas of countries in lieu of just wild countryside.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

The derivation is part of the basis for how the path and strength of hurricanes is predicted.

Denialism is a strange thing when even mathematics is no longer trusted.

This is idiotic, we use all sorts of constructs in heat transfer, such as W/m^2-K; pick a delta temperature and you get W/m^2 and add a one second time period, and you get J/m^2. Oh, doh, is heat transfer fundamentally politically biased?

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Mathematicians are the first to bite the dust. "Perhaps you pronounce this sentence against me with greater fear than I receive it." Bruno

Joules lose their volume at a 2D surface. They cannot exist there.

[ponder] I've got it. Maybe the packets turn into waves.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

IRStuff, you're the first to mention watts. The NASA article specifically states that an area has an energy "content" which we all should know is false.

Dik, MWP1A causes sea levels to rise at 100's of times the rate we are seeing today.

I think your into quantum mechanics tug with the energy per unit area.

Solar power revolves alot around W/M2 linked to a panel efficiency.

Nuclear and health physicists also use energy per unit area.

I'm not so sure... Joules, the same as K-ft (moment) are often used in 2 Space. Although, technically 2 Space cannot exist.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Agree... but the consequences of it 15 or 20 thousand years ago would not be as great and occurred over centuries, not decades. [pipe]

-----*****-----

-Dik

1503 said:
Earth temperatures warm the water below the ice.
Warming from the bottom creates instability.
Circulation is thereby established,
It's the air temps that freeze the ice.
The earth warms the water from below.

Seasonal changes in lakes and reservoirs
Temperature is also important in lakes and reservoirs. It is related to the dissolved-oxygen concentration in water, which is very important to all aquatic life. Many lakes experience a "turning" of its water layers when the seasons change. In summer, the top of the lake becomes warmer than the lower layers. You've probably noticed this when swimming in a lake in summer - your shoulders feel like they're in a warm bath while your feet are chilled. Since warm water is less dense that colder water, it stays on top of the lake surface. But, in winter some lake surfaces can get very cold. [highlight #FCE94F]When this happens, the surface water becomes more dense than the deeper water with a more constant year-round temperature (which is now warmer than the surface)[/highlight], and the lake "turns", when the colder surface water sinks to the lake bottom.

The way that temperatures vary in lakes over seasons depends on where they are located. In warm climates the surface may never get so cold as to cause the lake "to turn." But, in climates that have a cold winter, temperature stratifications and turning do occur. [highlight #FCE94F]This chart is an illustration of temperatures profiles for a lake in Minnesota, USA (where it gets really cold during winter)[/highlight]. [highlight #FCE94F]You can see that in May the surface starts to warm (green color), but the warming only goes down to about 5 meters in depth.[/highlight] Even though the surface continues to warm all summer, the less dense water still stays on top of the lake. [highlight #FCE94F]Even in summer the bottom half of the lake still stays almost as cold as it was in winter.[/highlight][highlight #FCE94F][/highlight] During summer, the less dense warmer water stays on top of the colder water; no mixing of water occurs. Notice in October, as the temperature starts to consistently get down near freezing at night, the surface water cools, becomes a little colder in temperature and a little more dense than the water in the bottom of the lake, and, thus, sinks, causing mixing. The lake " has turned." After October, the temperature throughout the vertical column of water is about the same cold temperature, until the ice is melted and the sun can warm the top of the lake again.

wss-property-temperature-lake-year_dldsg4.png

I found this article on USGS web site talking about the "turning" of lakes in winter, as you have alluded to. In this example they are looking at Ice Lake Minnesota. My read is that the warming and cooling comes from the atmosphere, and effects only down to about 5 meters in depth, and cycles with the seasons.

It further states that temp below the atmospheric warmed depth, stays relative constant year round.

This implies that it is very critical as to what depth surface temperature measurements are made, and that changes at surface level have very little impact on the deeper water which stays relatively unchanged thru the seasons.

What's the quibble? Energy has a magnitude or quantity that can be measured and used for calculations. Some people may call it a 'content'. As long as the people discussing it know what 'content' means that should be sufficient. As an outsider, you should quickly come to terms to know what content means, else ask. Because you cannot understand what is meant by a unit of measurement is no reason to discard the whole discussion. [pipe]

-----*****-----

-Dik

Alistair, in not the one using energy per area, that was NASA. I was pointing out the absurdity.

Flat energy is the new flat Earth.

Dik, I suggest you study the difference between lb-mass and lb-force. A moment has no mass, therefore, has no energy.

It may be a little deeper than that... I understand the oceans warming extends a few hundred feet...

It doesn't stay constant, the oceans are warming.

It has a real effect... the gulf stream, for example, is slowing. See AMOC.

-----*****-----

-Dik

I'm well aware of mass and force... I even know what slugs are. If no mass, then no Force since acceleration is not zero... silly
Joules are a common unit equivalent for K-Ft (a force times a distance).

-----*****-----

-Dik

Just through the units... I calculate in K-ft, not in Joules, but they are the same...

-----*****-----

-Dik

If the Ocean gives up 1 Watt per square meter for 1 second, how many Joules were transferred across that square meter, that is, how many Joules per square meter were transferred?

Back