thread1618-497988
thread1618-498967
thread1618-501135
thread1618-504850
thread1618-506948
thread1618-507973
thread1618-510266

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If there's a buck to be made... beware of the snakeoil salesmen... it seems to be the way these days...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

nope...

-----*****-----

-Dik

dik said:
If there's a buck to be made... beware of the snakeoil salesmen... it seems to be the way these days...

Yup, which is why I don't trust AOC, Bernie, Greta, Gore and any of the other climate alarmists. They're all finding a way to profit off this. Either with direct income (Gore, AOC), fundraising fame, or consolidation of power into the hands of the government. At best, this is what they're after. Power, money, fame. At worst, they are just the type of "useful fools" that communists love in their desire to seek more and more oppressive power.

or any of the others... including our own Turdeau...

-----*****-----

-Dik

There could be a down side...

"It has been reported that temperatures on Earth could skyrocket to around 70C (185F) which would ultimately transform the planet from what we know it to be like now, into a ‘hostile environment devoid of food and water’, the researcher who conducted this study has warned everyone.

If this study is to come true, then it would mean Earth’s temperature would simply become too hot for mammals to live and would no longer be able to survive as we/they all do now, but that is not all that would change."

-----*****-----

-Dik

It has been reported that temperatures on Earth could skyrocket to around 70C

This is such a baseless claim that they can't even cite an expert, paper or such. Just "it has been reported". The study" cited in this article also suggests that increased volcanic activity will results in a "super continent". That the sun would "become hotter" (whatever that means). This may be the single dumbest and poorly written piece of alarmist drivel that has ever been written.

It has also been reported that the Y2k would result in a massive crises and that the world would fall into chaos. It has also been reported that the world would end in 2012 based on some dumb interpretation of the Mayan calendar.

Dik - Seriously, are you trolling us with this drivel? You can't possibly have read that article and thought that there was any genuine merit to it. Right?

The Article said:
This supercomputer has predicted that the sun will drastically become brighter due to tectonic movements...

Hmmm, wouldn't a thought it possible.

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Not at all... just pointing out what a possible outcome is... The systems have so much energy, I have no idea of where we will end up since we are doing very little to mitigate things... It's the most extreme 'model' I've encountered to date.

-----*****-----

-Dik

I thought it was pretty far fetched... but, don't know enough to refute it. I can see with the polar caps melting there being a shift in the mass distribution of the earth. I can see this influencing tectonic plate related stuff with possible seismic implications... I don't think it will happen, but can see the mechanisms for it to happen, if it did occur.

-----*****-----

-Dik

I'd like to think that...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Rather than waste everybody's time perhaps a search for the actual paper would have been useful

Here is its abstract

A new study shows unprecedented heat is likely to lead to the next mass extinction, akin to when the dinosaurs died out, eliminating nearly all mammals in some 250 million years time.

For context 250 million years ago there weren't even dinosaurs (but there were crocodiles)

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Greg Locock said:
Rather than waste everybody's time perhaps a search for the actual paper would have been useful

Dik -

I have to say I agree with Greg here. I think that "article" (and I use that term generously) was a waste of everybody's time. It should have been self evident that it was meaningless drivel.

I kindly suggest that you exercise a little better judgment when sharing links with this group. It's not that I don't tolerate the occasional garbage post. Rather, it's that such links really tarnish your otherwise good name.

It was just an extreme possibility, IMHO... I don't know where this will end up.

-----*****-----

-Dik

It was just an extreme possibility, IMHO... I don't know where this will end up.

There are literally a nearly infinite number of ridiculously extreme possibilities. If you're going to start posting all of them, this will become a very long and useless thread. I suggest you stick to posting scenarios that have evidence, or at least sound scientific and logical backing, to support their conclusions. Another good criteria might be that the predictions are limited to the next hundred years or less, considering the 'experts' are still failing to predict the weather accurately a week in advance.

@Bridge... I noted in an earlier post that with climate change things could get really ugly. This is just a 'heads up' or caution about how ugly things could get. In the disasters forum, there is talk about a Lybian earthen dam failure with thousands of lives lost. It's in thread:

thread815-511922

Rainfall was likely between 10 and 30 times what was normal. This is nowhere near how ugly things can get... In addition, if things get ugly, there can be a whole pile of hurt caused by geopolitical issues...

-----*****-----

-Dik

There was an earlier note about taking countries to court over climate change. This has been extended..

""What I felt was fear," says Claudia Duarte Agostinho as she remembers the extreme heatwave and fires that ripped through Portugal in 2017 and killed more than 100 people. "The wildfires made me really anxious about what sort of future I would have."

Claudia, 24, her brother Martim, 20, and her sister Mariana, 11, are among six young Portuguese people who have filed a lawsuit against 32 governments, including all EU member states, the UK, Norway, Russia, Switzerland and Turkey.

They accuse the countries of insufficient action over climate change and failing to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions enough to hit the Paris Agreement target of limiting global warming to 1.5C.

The case is the first of its kind to be filed at the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in Strasbourg. If it is successful, it could have legally-binding consequences for the governments involved. The first hearing in the case is being held on Wednesday.

Aged from 11 to 24, the six claimants argue that the forest fires that have occurred in Portugal each year since 2017 are a direct result of global warming.

They claim that their fundamental human rights - including the right to life, privacy, family life and to be free from discrimination - are being violated due to governments' reluctance to fight climate change."

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back