Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 17 14

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The verbatim did not mention anything but home and commercial. If they allow public questions, I plan to ask specifically about CTS CCTV.

>>>>Edit: I had no opportunity to ask a question.

From that slide, the original video frame is far superior to those available via the phone video of the computer monitor. The only significant enhancement would be to do a white balance which is implied by the checkerboard image.

Which download is the slide from? edit: found it.

They are far ahead of us on image quality.

From slide 10, the Tiktok image, it's now hard to consider the green stuff on the right side of the image as anything other than Nir's deck furniture (unit 111).

Nir_Deck_Furniture.from_Tiktok_vid_unkv0i.jpg

Nir_Deck_Furniture.1024.MVOBV2W2BAI6XDEHVVXSPEMMPA.02_acvm5t.jpg

In this deck, it shows that the custody of evidence was transferred in January 2022 from MDPD to NIST. It is not explicit about whether that evidence includes all video and audio recordings as well as all material from the collapse site. But as this deck also shows, MDPD continues to be involved in NIST activities. I have to say I don't really understand MDPD's interest, as it is beyond the scope of a PD to act in a scientific capacity.

Using two NIST slide images, it's clear that the x11 stack drops with column lines K and L (I think L leads the way). The whole east wing of the building appears to twist grotesquely as the collapse is initiated.

NIST_collapse_frames.01_euhz3n.jpg

NIST_collapse_frames.02_bfgq6a.jpg

NIST_frame_grabs_hhyqgb.gif

Maud, it is not likely you would have been able to ask a question at the meeting anyway today.

In most commission meetings like this, the public is allowed 2 or 3 minutes for public commentary, which means you can't ask questions, it is commentary only and they won't answer any questions you ask.

But you can make a commentary like this: "The public is upset that no video has been released from over a dozen cameras at CTS. This could then get them looking into it, even if they say nothing."

@Jeff Ostroff...Yeah, you're right...the only person who spoke during the public question period was a guy from the ICC who had no question but made a statement in the ICC's behalf. The discussion in today's meeting was all amongst the presenters. I will ask to be added to the public question period next time. In the meantime, I will follow your suggestion when I communicate with Dr. Ganapati.

Watering the plants?

My question is did the deck slab drop to the step while the portion against the building drooped and spilled the deck contents over the edge, or the did the whole (private deck) slab drop? If BMA with slab is on the garage floor, surely there would be more debris, so I'm inclined to believe the spillage scenario.

The mystery of the missing column is that it is hiding behind the shrubbery left of the green oval.

Nir_Deck_Furniture.from_Tiktok_vid.03_lzet27.jpg

The missing column M11.1 is on outside southernmost border of the exterior wall of the building inside the planter. The planters would likely land behind it on the floor of the garage from the tourist's point of view.

27 is M9.1, the building perimeter column. M11.1, the missing column is under the square planter boxes, supporting the south end of the BMA.

But you made me double check. ;)

An attempt at a collapse sequence, starting at the planter column, 75. The valet parking area and the pool deck each took their own course, the parking slab beating the pool area to the garage floor and taking the chunk out of the pool slab along the south wall. Along the building, the BMA's and slab steps offer additional rigidity to the slab and likely impeded the progress. It just remains to determine how much initial damage was done prior the main event. We now know that the Nir's deck furniture ended up in the garage with the deck collapse and prior to the building collapse.

Collapse_Sequence.02_skodmw.jpg

Sym P. le said:
An attempt at a collapse sequence
Thank you very much for taking the time to prepare your diagram. A couple of the images from the NIST reports encouraged me to post some additional thoughts on this and your diagram is helpful for helping to illustrate the issue for general discussion.

I believe that where the degradation of the concrete was most severe there was more dust created during the collapse. Please correct me if that is not a valid statement. If the collapse starts at column 75, location 1 on your diagram, there should be a lot of dust at that location before any more of the deck collapses, correct? If the collapse progresses outwards, as you show, to columns 2, then columns 3 the dust will also be expelled outwards towards the perimeter of the parking garage in all directions, from point 1 North. That means there should be dust present in the air to the south, which there is in the CCTV video from 87 Park and as reported in witness statements but there should also be dust visible to the north in Adriana Sarmiento's video, but the still image on slide 10 of the file CTS4_Ganapati_Saidi_NCSTAC June 2022.pptx looks even clearer than we have seen before, with virtually no dust present in the air.

On the other hand, if the most degraded concrete is at the southern property line wall and the collapse initiates there, most dust will be present at the south property line wall of the parking garage. When the remainder of the deck collapses, air is expelled generally from the center of the garage towards the perimeter in each direction. And we know a gust of air was reported by Adriana Sarmiento. Since there is little or no dust in the center, in this scenario, little or no dust is expelled north. But the dust at the southern property line wall would be expelled and in a way that corresponds with the available images and witness statements. Does anyone have an alternative explanation for the difference in the level of dust we see and was reported, between the South and the North of the garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back